Sunday 15 January 2012

60 second philosophy

I am not a philosophically inclined person, though I like to imagine I have a certain wisdom, it's not quite the same thing. It is however an area of study in which I would like to gain a basic understanding for no particular reason but I feel I should. I've read too many historic biographies of people with 'superior educations' and it makes me feel as if mine is somehow lacking.
 
This is one of the reasons I bought Sophie's World at a Lifeline Bookfest many years ago. An international bestseller about a young girl's adventures in philosophy, Sophie's World brought the ancient study to a whole new audience. It's still sitting on my bookshelves and I never seem to be in the right mood to read it.
 
So I was very happy when I found some even more accessible lessons in Philosophy, courtesy of the Open University. They have taken 6 famous though experiments into 6 animated '60 second adventures in thought'.
 
This is my favourite, The Paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise.


2 comments:

  1. Two thoughts of mine -
    One, I love Sophie's World. Two - you and I chose the same background for our blogs :)
    From Pizzel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I will read Sophie's world and think it is amazing I am sure. It's just so scary to pick up, knowing what it's about!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...