Monday 21 January 2013

Book review: Lace by Shirley Conran

Read my full review on Sassi Sam.

Lace by Shirley Conran came out in the 1980s and became a feminist bonkbuster bestseller. It traces the lives of four very different women who share a teenage past. 

The novel starts out in a Swiss finishing school, all Dior gowns, handsome ski teams and what would now be viewed as rape. The first part of the book did not speak to me at all. Though an element of this luxurious improbability lingers, the novel grows to be an affirming story of four women who don't always have in easy, don't always have money but who do always have each other. At the final pages I must admit that I loved every minute of you.

Oh, and there's a lot of sex thrown in too, not all of it rape and a some quite titillating.


2 comments:

  1. Ha, interesting book to review! I randomly picked it up years ago somewhere and despite its trashy-ish feel, found it completely addictive. There's a sequel too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. There is a sequel and a 1980's mini series. Both tempting, but I suspect not as good as the original. I'd kind of love to see a mini-series that was produced now. It was be so saucy and full of DRAMA!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...